Thursday, February 19, 2015

Keeping Yourself Accountable


Now that February is almost to an end, it's time to review how our 2015 resolutions are coming along! Although I have remained consistent with fitness for many years now, I "fell off the wagon" after my mom passed away and then again around the holiday season. I promised myself I would get myself into a routine again for 2015, knowing that a routine would make me successful.

The first thing I did was join the new LA Fitness in our neighborhood. I am not as self-motivated as I used to be, I wanted to take classes that I could get excited about! So far I have taken Zumba, Yoga, Spin (Dustin takes this with me), Bodyworks + Abs and Bootcamp. It makes working out so much better. Before LA Fitness I tried the Crossfit down the street (too expensive and limiting) and the Hot Yoga studio (classes were too long and at weird times). Needless to say, I have really enjoyed our new gym, its variety and location.

To help keep myself accountable, I have rounded up a few of my favorite fitness items that make working out easy and accessible. Remember, consistency is key.

1) Dog leash - Walk your dog, they need exercise as much as you do! I try to walk Mya at least 15 minutes a day during the work week. I love running with her on the weekends and am looking forward to daylight savings so I can make running a daily routine again. Dustin and I also like taking her on hikes!

2) Water bottle - Keep hydrated and throw some lemons in there for a nice refreshing taste.

3) Fitbit - Dustin calls this a glorified pedometer, but it actually makes me aware of how active/non-active I have been during the day. I can even set silent alarms on it to remind myself to get up and walk while at work.

4) Weights, Yoga Mat  and Fitness apps - Keep a yoga mat and free weights at your house and download a few fitness apps on your phone. Not having time to go to the gym anymore isn't an excuse anymore with technology these days. My favorite app is the 7-minute workout. I can run through the circuit as many times as I want, plus I can pay .99 for additional workout routines. It just doesn't get any easier than that.

5) Graze! Or snack during the day :). I received the Graze snack subscription for Christmas from Thayer, I love it! The snacks are not only delicious but perfectly proportioned. I keep the individual snack packs in my desk drawer. Snacking is better for your metabolism and keeps me from ordering a big Chipotle burrito at lunch ;).

6) Workout shoes, good ones! This makes all the difference in the world. I actually won't run if my shoes are too worn down. Chin splints? No thank you!  I know it's an investment, but if you spend money on anything, it should be a good pair of workout shoes!

xo
MM

No comments :

Post a Comment