Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Running : Part 2

Here is part 2 of my mini-running series in order to address and answer my first blog post request: "How did you start running?  Any tips or tricks?"   I want to talk about my favorite gear that makes working out much more comfortable (for me) along with some fun tricks that keep me motivated!  


(all images via Lululemon)

Most of my favorite gear is from Lululemon.  I know this store has a high price tag and may sticker shock some folks but I stand by their products.  They produce high quality products that don't fade, lose shape, chafe and most importantly their material breathes.  Another reason I purchase from Lululemon is because of their flat waist bands.  I have a large incision scar that was irritated from the scrunchy band on my Nike running shorts which made for uncomfortable work outs.   I started out running in Champion and New Balance gear.  Champion lost its shape way too easily and the material didn't breath which caused me to break out on my chest area (yuck) and my pants would not stay up when I ran outside (embarrassing).  New Balance was fine but the thin waist band did not sit well for me.

I work out heavily in this gear 4-5 times a week and I am still using the same pieces I bought almost 3 years ago, that makes each purchase completely worth it in my book.  Price per use!  Also, I should note that I consistently shop Lulu's sale rack online.  I know what size I am for the most part and rarely buy full-priced items.

1)  I love that I can wear this top year round.  The best feature is not only that it is loose (and allows air flow) but you save on your wash load since you don't need to wear a sports bra with it.  I see it as a two-in-one deal.

2)  I use these running pants not only for running but every day work out pants.  I love that it has pockets so that I can store my keys and my iPod/iPhone.  It makes it easier to do cardio work outs at the gym without having an arm band on or having to hold/set my phone down.

3) This is a great basic top for layering that breathes really well.  I love that it is long and stays put when I move around a lot.  I can't stand when my tanks rise when doing mountain climbers, burpees (or as Thayer calls them "4 counts"), etc.  They almost always have one of these on sale so they are easy to pick up.

4.  This head band is a winner in my book and they are really affordable.  They come in a lot of fun colors, keep your hair out of the way and has a sticky band to help it stay put!  I also tend to get head aches from head bands but have never seemed to have a problem with this one.

5.  I only have two of these long sleeve beauties.  They hold up perfectly, keep me warm and breathe extremely well.  The thumbs holes are great for cold runs and they are thin enough that you can add a layer on top (I will wear a vest) without feeling bulky.  If you are lucky you will find one hardly used at Goodwill like Megan did!

6.  These shorts are great for running, they don't rise up and they have a pocket!

7.  I discussed these shoes in a previous post.  I went to a running store in Greenlake and was able to work with a team member there to find these shoes.  I am on my 5th or 6th pair now.  They support my arch which ended up being the reason why I experience pain with my previous shoe.  I also buy new shoes every 6 months or so.  Otherwise I start to get really bad chin splints that take forever to go away!

Here is the guide they used:


Here are some (fun) tricks and tips that help me stay motivated!

- This quote, "Change is not a future event, it is a present activity."

- Follow fitness bloggers online and their IG accounts.  Sometimes when I am on the bus making up excuses of why I should't go to the gym I see a photo on my IG feed that makes me change my mind! I also like to pick up new work out ideas and recipes.

- Pretend like your enemy is working out next to you!  It pushes you harder.

- Eat mini meals through out the day.  It gives you energy and won't weigh you down leaving you feeling groggy.

- Use the interval setting on the elliptical.  I keep reading that short bursts of high intensity training are the best!

- Keep work out DVDs in your DVD player and weights near by.  When I don't feel like going out into the cold to the gym I like knowing that I can still get a workout in at home.  Jillian Michaels is my favorite.

-Use Groupon or Living Social to try new activities.  It is a good way to save a pretty penny and also gets you to try new things!  Last year, I did hot yoga in the winter time and my body was totally prepared when I started to run outside again in the Spring.

- Surround yourself with people that have similar health habits.

- Don't do anything to the extreme.  You will lose fuel and give up a lot easier!  Consistency is key.

- Most importantly, you need to decide if you want to adapt to a healthier living style.  Not a fad or diet.  Just simply a different way of living!

1 comment :

  1. LOVE THIS!!! So helpful. I am going to buy those headbands now - you have been telling me about them forever and I have yet to buy any!

    ReplyDelete