Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Amazing Healing Powers of my Mom's Spaghetti


A few months ago, I read this article and couldn't help but think of mom's spaghetti recipe. My mom, albeit a great cook, never whipped up anything fancy. She relied on easy and simple recipes that tasted great, made everyone come back for seconds and always made mouth watering leftovers. Now, Dustin and I make this meal every Sunday night and devour our leftovers for Monday lunches.

When I think of comfort, I simply think of this recipe. I have great memories of walking through the door, after a long 5 hour drive home from college and finding her in the kitchen (wine in hand) and spaghetti sauce simmering over the stove. I think of friends coming into town, a regular Tuesday nights or any other event that called for a big pot of spaghetti. Perfection. Other memories that stem from this recipe are more recent, when my mom was battling cancer. She would text me during the week and would always convince me (although I needed no convincing) to make this recipe when I would visit her over the weekend. She knew I would always eat this with her and make it just they way she liked.

So here's what you'll need to make this recipe:
  1. Meatballs. As many as you want, Dustin always laughs because I add way too many. (I love these the best)
  2. One can of condensed Mushroom Soup
  3. One jar of any pasta sauce
  4. 1/2 cup vodka
  5. One box of spaghetti noodles, whichever variety you like
Start with a large skillet on medium heat. Add enough meatballs to cover the bottom of the pan and cook until meatballs are browned, tossing occasionally. Lower the heat and add one can of condensed Mushroom Soup. Once the soup has "melted" (mom's words) a bit, you can add your jarred sauce. Then, I use a good amount of vodka to swish out the leftover sauce that is left in the jar. Every last bit counts! Allow the sauce to simmer a bit while you cook your spaghetti noodles. Drain your cooked spaghetti noodles and add directly into the large skillet and toss everything together. Serve with some parmesan cheese and enjoy!

1 comment :

  1. Tears in my eyes at work. I love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete