Monday, May 5, 2014

Use This, Not That


I believe that everything in moderation is key and I happily apply this motto to my eating habits as well. I have no problem indulging in weekend treats, a bowl of macaroni and cheese, teriyaki, happy hour foods and a big burger. However, I have come to love the taste of more and more healthier food options and healthier substitutions as well. Not only because they make me feel better, but also because they also taste better (in my opinion). Here are a few that I use daily -

1. Peanut Flour

I briefly mentioned PB2 Peanut Flour in a post about my favorite protein shake. This is a great substitute for peanut butter in your smoothie or shake. You still get great source of protein and peanut flavor with 85% less fat. You can even add water to the peanut flour and make a peanut butter spread (I have not tried it this way yet). Learn more here.

2. Plain Greek Yogurt

Though I don't always eat plain greek yogurt by itself (best with sliced fruit and sprinkle of cinnamon), I do love using it to replace sour cream in recipes. This is much lower in calories, tangy, a great source of protein and creamy. Lately, we like mixing 1 cup greek yogurt + two table spoons horseradish for an amazing dip to pair with pork chops, steak and baked potatoes! It is a great base for so many things! Read more about the many health benefits here.

3. Brown Rice + Quinoa

Either of these options are a great substitute for pasta or white rice (which I still love).  I love to make a batch of brown rice each week. This makes meals easy to throw together and keeps me from boiling up a pot of pasta instead. I like to pair it with fish, asian inspired dishes or apricot chicken! We also love to put together rice bowls using black beans, avocado, veggies and shredded cheese as well. It keeps me satisfied and full.

4. Lemons

I have a serious love affair with lemons. I stock my work fridge with them and cut into wedges for lemon water as a detoxifying and energizing drink. I also love using the juice to flavor my fish and brown rice. There are so many great benefits to lemons, it is insane. Plus, they smell heavenly. Read about them all here.

5. Coconut Oil

Dustin and I like using coconut oil (though currently out) as a cooking spray. It adds great flavor and actually works better than other "Pam-like" products. I also use this as my body moisturizer, hair mask and make up remover as well! Read about the benefits and ways to use it here.

6. Garlic

Similar to lemons, there are great health benefits to garlic. It also adds rich flavor and is versatile to cook with. I even sprinkle powdered garlic into my scrambled eggs each morning. Lately, I love the flavor of roasted garlic paired with asparagus or broccoli (yes, Molly is eating broccoli now!) Read about the surprising health benefits here.

7. Hummus

I love every creamy dip that I dip my chips into. This is one that I don't feel guilty about and I love that the flavor is versatile (try Trader Joe's Tomato Basil Hummus). Lately, I am dipping whole wheat pita chips in regular hummus as a pre-workout snack, however I really like spreading it on my lunch wraps as well. 10 reasons why you should eat hummus here.

8. Raw Organic Honey

A few years ago, my mom introduced me to a morning drink made up of hot water, organic raw honey and lemons. I have been hooked on organic raw honey ever since. I will always use this in place of any artificial sweetener. I love adding it to shakes and smoothies best. 5 healthy uses here.

9. Avocado

Have you ever had this on toast sprinkled with sea salt? Morgan introduced me to this snack last year and it is my favorite work snack. Avocados have a nice creamy texture which can be great to use in place of mayonnaise on a sandwich or wrap. There are so many ways to use avocados! 25 amazing benefits here.

2 comments :

  1. I've been hesitant to try PB2. I read this http://foodbabe.com/2012/09/16/the-truth-about-pb2-powdered-peanut-butter/ a few weeks back that another clean eating blogger shared and thought you might find it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Thank you for that tip. I am all about almond butter, looks like I will stick with that for now :).

    ReplyDelete