Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Recipes To Make

Last night I decided to make one of Dustin's favorite childhood recipes, Hamburger pie.  No, it's not the healthiest recipe but I know that he loves it and I wanted to make it for him.

So after the gym I went to Safeway and picked up the ingredients.  As I was preparing the dish I kept thinking about how dinners become rushed and routine.  My "go-to" every night could easily be a smoothie or a sweet potato.  The crazy thing is that I really enjoy meal preparation and making meals.  It never seems like a burden to me, except when I don't have ingredients readily available.

I struggle to buy a lot of fresh ingredients because Dustin and I are only home together several nights a week (I am gone on the weekends and we are both gone Wednesday nights with my mom.)  I feel like that makes it really easy to waste food.  However, I also hate when our fridge is bare and have limited food options.

One of my favorite sites that offer healthy alternatives to everyday meals is Dashing Dish.  It's also the same site where I found my favorite tortilla brand and protein powder that I use.

Here are some recipes I want to make that are healthy alternatives, easy to buy for and that are simple.

Crispy Popcorn Chicken -

Frozen chicken breasts are a staple in our freezer.  This seems like it would be a good mix-up from my traditional baked chicken that I top my salads with.

via Dashing Dish

Black Bean and Corn Quesadilla -

I buy the "LaTortilla" brand tortilla in bulk at Costco and keep them in the freezer, so this recipe is a good find and seems like an easy "go-to"!

via Dashing Dish
Buffalo Sweet Potato Fries -

I think everyone knows I eat sweet potatoes like they are going out of style.  This recipes looks like one Dustin would love to, especially with the Superbowl coming up!

via Dashing Dish
The real reason for this blog post is stemmed from my bad mood yesterday. I had a terrible attitude after a few events from the weekend.  I talked myself into going home after work and doing nothing.  I thought that would make me feel better, sulking and feeling sorry for myself.

Once I got home I made myself go to the gym.  Once I was there, I had a great work out!  That's when I was inspired to go make a nice dinner for Dustin.  We ended up having a such a good night cooking together and then talking and laughing at the dinner table until past 9 pm.

Why?  Because I need to keep myself fueled by things that I enjoy.  Even if it is the simplest things.

No comments :

Post a Comment