Wednesday, March 19, 2014

How to Stay Active at a Desk Job

As much as I love my job, I really hate the fact that I have a "desk job" with up to 8 hours of screen time a day.  I try to make sure I get a morning work out in or have one planned after work, but sometimes things don't always go as planned.  To avoid "sitting" for 8 hours a day, here are some of my tips for staying active at your office!



1) Get up and move every 30 minutes

Our kitchen is at the back of the office so I like to get up and walk back there frequently to fill up my water bottle, walk to someones office to ask a question and use the stairs whenever I use the bathroom (located one floor below us).

2) Eat small meals every few hours

There is nothing worse than indulging in a big meal and then having to sit for another 4 hours.  Talk about major food coma.  Tack on a afternoon beer and I would fall asleep. I always make sure I have small breakfast in the morning, a snack when I get to the office, a small lunch (which I bring from home) and an afternoon snack.  I learned to eat by this regimen as a way to manage my Crohn's disease and I swear by it.  I constantly feel like I am eating and I never feel famished.  Your body metabolizes your food faster this way as well.

I like to prep my snacks for the week on Sunday night.  Some easy "go-to" snacks include:

- Raspberries and pineapple (buy whole to save money and then slice up)
- Apple and sharp cheddar cheese
- Avocado smushed on whole wheat toast
- Banana and peanut butter (great as a pre-workout snack as well)
- Marcona Almonds

All of these ideas are simple and portable to take to work!

3) Drink lots of water

As I mentioned, our kitchen is in the back so I am constantly making trips to fill up my water bottle.  It helps keep me alert and energized.  I get made fun of all of the time for doing so, but I really just don't care!

4) Walk on your lunch break

I know it's not always possible to get a lunch break, so even if I don't have a full hour I will make sure just to walk around the block a few times.  The fresh air is so rejuvenating and I am ready to tackle the next portion of the day.

5) Stand as often as you can

I find it hard to concentrate when looking at numbers or smaller details when I am standing.  So when I have a task that doesn't take as much "brain power" I love to make sure I work standing up.  This is also a great time to get in some calf raises!

6) Eat the office goodies, but cut your portion in half

We constantly have media representatives and co-workers who bring in tasty treats!  My willpower is not always strong enough to say no, but I find that when I cut my portion in half I feel satisfied but I don't hate myself the rest of the day.


These are just a few ways I like to stay active at work.  What are some of your tricks?


No comments :

Post a Comment