Thursday, June 19, 2014

Stuffed Peppers




Yesterday, on my lunch break I went to Pike's Place Market and pick up veggies for last night's dinner, stuffed peppers! I used this recipe as my "foundation" and altered it a bit. My biggest time saver was using this instead of rice. To be honest, I completely forgot about the rice and didn't have the patience to spend 15-20 minutes to boil up a pot of rice when everything else was already prepped and ready to go! In the end, it actually helped enhance the flavor and texture of the peppers, can't complain! This recipe was amazing, I cannot wait to make it again!


Turkey Stuffed Peppers



Ingredients: 


1 lb lean chopped turkey meat

1 garlic, minced - I used 2 cloves
1/4 onion, minced
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley - I used parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed
1 cup fat free chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato sauce - I used tomato paste
1 1/2 cups cooked rice - I used quinoa/brown rice mix
Olive oil spray - I used olive oil
1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese



Directions: 


    Heat oven to 400°. Spray a little olive oil spray in a medium size saute pan and heat on a medium flame. Add onion, garlic and cilantro to the pan. Saute about 2 minutes and add ground turkey. Season with salt and garlic powder, and cumin and brown meat for several minutes until meat is completely cooked through. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.Combine cooked rice and meat together.


    Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Place in a baking dish.Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half and fill it with as much as you can. Placeall stuffed pepper halves on the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan. Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy.

    No comments :

    Post a Comment